The Society for Science at User Research Facilities (SSURF) is a non-profit organization working to advance awareness of user facility research.
Join SSURF Today
The Society for Science at User Research Facilities (SSURF) is a non-profit professional society working to promote and serve the interests of the user science community. With a growing membership of U.S. user facilities, SSURF is pursuing new activities to support and promote user science. Members benefit from participation in SSURF’s congressional outreach activities, coordination between facilities and funding agencies on issues of common interest, and engagement with SSURF’s network of users and user facilities.
SSURF organizes and participates in a variety of activities that benefit our valued members including:
- SSURF-sponsored User Facility Tours for elected officials and legislative staff
- Coordination and sponsorship of facility staff and user visits to Congressional offices
- Issue-engagement coordination between facility management, sponsoring agencies, and researchers to address issues of shared concern and shape community policies and practices.
- Statements of Support to elected officials on matters of import to user facilities
- Moderated Community Discussions for SSURF community
- SSURF Annual Meeting with thought leaders, trainings and crucial peer insights
- SSURF Newsletter highlighting member facilities’ special events and scientific discoveries
- Special webinars on User Facility Best Practices
Benefits of Facility Membership
User facilities are invited to join SSURF as Facility Members to help promote user science. Benefits of membership include:
- Two reduced-rate registrations for the SSURF Annual Meeting.
- Participation in SSURF-sponsored legislative outreach and education events.
- Facility representation in SSURF issue engagement activities.
- Bi-annual newsletter including SSURF activities and scientific highlights from member facilities.
- Spotlighting of your facility’s events, news, and job listings on SSURF.org
Fees for facility memberships are based on facility operation budgets.
Annual Budget Over 60 Million $7,500
Annual Budget $30-$60 Million $5,000
Annual Budget Under 30 Million $2,500
Professional & PostDoc
Professional Membership $30
Students (Graduate and Undergraduate)
Student Membership Free
Membership is free for students utilizing user facilities and students enrolled in graduate and undergraduate programs.